True Utility FAQ’s
We’ve all got questions. Here are some of the most frequently asked ones.
“How long does shipment take?”
All of our website orders are processed within 1 – 2 working days. Shipping times can vary depending on destination and adverse weather conditions etc. In most cases, orders for UK and Europe will take 3 – 5 working days to ship, with an exception of up to 7 working days in some circumstances.
Orders to the U.S.A are usually shipped via UPS Express, this takes 1- 3 working days.
“How do I open and close my TRUE folding knife?”
The majority of our pocket knives use an innovative ‘frame-lock’ mechanism. The blade often has a small indented finger grip, or the blade can simply be pushed outwards from the body. Rotate the blade 180 degrees, until it clicks into the open and locked position. To close the blade, simply press upon the sprung part that locks the blade in place until the blade is free, and then close fully.
“How do I fill my windproof lighter?”
Both the TurboJet Lighter, and the Classic Lighter use lighter gas to fuel their flames. Refilling the lighter couldn’t be easier; you will require a can of butane gas.
- Set the flame height adjuster to the lowest setting using a small screwdriver on the adjustment screw.
- Bleed the lighter by pushing the refilling valve with a screwdriver until no hissing sound is heard. Hold the lighter upside down to avoid injecting air into the lighter.
- Shake the butane can and press the nozzle of the can directly onto the refill valve for 5 seconds. Repeat if necessary.
- Wait 3-4 minutes to let the gas reach room temperature.
- Turn the flame adjuster clockwise to reach desired flame height.
TIP: Always use premium quality butane gas. Impurity of the gas can cause clogging of the burner valve.
“How do I fill my Firestash lighter?”
Both the Firestash, and the Firestash Plus use lighter fluid to fuel their flames. Refilling the lighter couldn’t be easier; you will require a can of lighter fluid.
- • Remove the inside unit from the case using pliers to grip the flint, to reveal the packing material in the fuel chamber.• Fill slowly to saturate the packing with lighter fluid. Stop filling when fuel reaches the top of packing. Never overfill. If overfilled, the lighter will leak fuel. Avoid getting the lighter fluid on your skin, as it is a skin irritant. If contact with skin does occur, wash the affected area promptly with mild soap and water. If irritation persists or worsens, contact your doctor.• Insert the inside unit back into the outer casing, making sure to wipe excess fluid from the lighter and your hands before igniting the lighter. Be sure the fuel can is closed and there is no spilled fuel in the vicinity before igniting. This is a flammable fluid.If the lighter is kept in your pocket, we suggest that it be placed bottom down, especially when first re-fueled in case you overfilled it.
“How do I return a faulty lighter?”
If your product is faulty please either return it to where you purchased it from or return it to us, as per our warranty and we will repair or replace the product free of charge.
Product warranted against defects in materials & workmanship by True Utility under terms & conditions for 2 years from date of purchase. If defective during warranty period, product will be repaired or replaced free of charge. Warranty doesn’t cover: water damage, improper handling, battery life, bulbs, flame consistency & colour clarity, colour finish, accidents, wear & tear. Proof of purchase is required. See contact for address.
Please note: Purchases from eBay/Amazon are not covered under our returns policy as we do not have any certified EBay/Amazon Sellers. If you have any problems with True Utility products purchased from eBay/Amazon you must contact the Seller directly.
Please follow the steps below when returning any TRUE UTILITY products covered under the above warranty:
Step 1: Package the Tool Securely
When sending your tool, please ensure that you label the package clearly. We cannot be responsible for products that do not reach us.
We would appreciate if you can make sure that returned lighters are completely empty, containing no gas. You can also double check this by trying to ignite it about 5 times after emptying. This is because, it was brought to our attention that Royal Mail is currently picking lighters and similar items during an x-ray screening and diverting to Royal Mail National Mail Centre Belfast for testing (to check for gas) before final delivery. So if picked up, your return might take longer than usual to arrive here.
Please include: The tool, proof of purchase, reason for return, contact information, your name and return address. Make sure all your correspondence is legible so we can deal with your request as quickly as possible.
Step 2: Address and Postage
True Brands Product Return – Unit 2, The GP Centre, Yeoman Road, Ringwood, United Kingdom. BH24 3FF.
We recommend using a recorded delivery service to best ensure arrival of your parcel. Postage is at your expense and is non refundable.
Step 3: We Replace your Product
Once your product is either repaired, replaced or if product is discontinued, replaced with an item of equal value, we will post it by 1st class Royal Mail or Recorded Delivery (depending on value of item). We will strive to return your product as quickly as possible, please be patient at busy times of the year.
“I bought my True Utility product on Ebay and I want to return it.”
Purchases from EBay are not covered under our returns policy as we do not have any Certified EBay Sellers.
When buying anything from EBay it is the Seller’s responsibility to either accept returns or sell ‘as is’ and the Buyers responsibility to understand and accept these terms before the purchase.
If you have any problems with True Utility products purchased from EBay you must contact the Seller directly.
Are your knives legal to carry in the UK?
You must be 18 years and over to purchase any of our pocket knives. Locking knives are illegal to carry in the UK. All our knives are locking knives.
How do I bleed the air from my lighter?
If your lighter fails to ignite, check to see if there is a spark when the lighter mechanism is operated. Make sure that the lighter contains fuel. Make sure all trapped air is released by bleeding. If there is an ignition spark and the lighter does contain fuel, try the following steps. Adjust the flame setting. Depending on the lighter model, this is either done by hand, using the wheel control at the base of the lighter, or using a small screwdriver to turn the setting control at the base.
Begin by turning the flame setting up a little at a time, until the lighter ignites every time. Note that ignition failure can be caused by flame settings that are too high as well as too low.
See Lighter Instructions for more info.
How to care for your True Utility TurboJet Lighter
Your lighter has been stringently factory tested and is supplied without gas. There may be a small residue of gas from the testing process remaining in the lighter. It will however require filling before use.
How to fill/refill your True Utility FireWire technology Windproof lighter:
• When flame gets weak and low it usually indicates the gas tank is empty. At this point bleed and refill lighter.
• Bleed any trapped air in the tank by holding the lighter upside down and pressing the refill valve at the base using either a ball point pen or a small screwdriver. Continue until the hissing sound stops.
• Shake the gas refill canister and make sure it is at room temperature. Insert the correct size nozzle vertically into the refill valve and press firmly for up to 10 seconds. Escaping gas indicates that the tank is now full.
• Do not touch the ignition while refilling.
• Do not attempt to ignite immediately. The lighter will need to be warmed in the hand for a few minutes to allow the gas to reach room temperature.
• If hissing sound is heard – do not ignite, bleed and refill again. Air is still trapped in the tank.
• If gas tank is still full and flame is still weak or low, turn up flame height adjuster at base of lighter to achieve desired flame height. Never adjust height while flame is on. Do not force adjustment valve, beyond pre-set maximum and minimum levels.
• Do not set the flame too high. Apart from being dangerous to the user, a very high flame may cause the lighter to malfunction. Lighter will not ignite and a hissing sound will be heard. Lower flame immediately.
• If flame jumps it usually indicates trapped air in the gas tank. Bleed air and refill lighter.
• Operate ignition switch slowly and with care. Misfiring usually occurs with fast ignition or flicking lighter on and off.
• For best performance and longevity of your lighter, only use gas marked ‘Triple/Double Refined’ or ‘Near Zero Impurities’. Impurities in gas may cause carbon build-up and clog the burner.
What to do if your lighter fails to ignite after the first refill, even at the highest setting:
• If your lighter fails to ignite after the first refill, even at highest setting try the bleed and refill procedure again. Make sure the lighter is at room temperature when you are doing the adjustments. If at maximum setting your True Utility FireWire technology windproof lighter does not produce a forceful flame (or no flame), then try one last thing:
• If you have a model with a flame adjustment screw at the bottom, using a 4mm tip flat head screw driver, turn the adjustment screw 1/8 turn at a time Counter Clock Wise BEYOND the first resistance (maximum) setting. Just apply a gentle force while turning the screw, you can go as far as 1/4 to even 1/2 turn beyond what some people may think is the maximum setting (that is just a safety net set up for summer heat when gas pressure is much higher than the cooler days we normally have in the UK). After each 1/8 turn, try ignition and check flame height until desired setting is reached.
• Suitable for adults only, keep away from children.
• Ignite lighter away from self, others and flammables.
• Beware of flame which may be invisible in bright light. Actual heat length is longer than visible flame
• Be sure flame is fully extinguished after use.
• True Utility FireWire technology windproof lighters are ideal for ignition and short-duration high intensity heat (1300ºC). If used longer than 15 seconds continuously the tip may become hot and due care should be taken before storage.
• Never expose to heat above 50ºC (120ºF) or to prolonged sunlight (e.g. car dashboard).
• Contains flammable gas under pressure. Never puncture or put in fire.
Care and Maintenance:
• For long term reliability of your True Utility FireWire technology windproof lighter it is essential the burner hole – where flame comes out – be kept clean.
• Objects should be lit at least 1 inch away from burner hole – i.e. in the heat of the flame and not in the flame itself.
• Do not touch burner hole with the tip of a cigarette or other object. This will cause ash/debris to fall in the lighter and can clog it up.
• Keep lighter clean from dust and dirt in pockets.
• Should the lighter become clogged up, blow dust and carbon build up from burner hole using compressed air as follows (compressed air can be purchased from office supply or computer/hardware stores):
• Place compressed air canister at least 1 inch away from burner hole or damage may occur.
• Proceed with 3 short bursts of air. Allow lighter to reach room temperature before igniting.
We hope you enjoy owning your True Utility FireWire technology TurboJet flame Windproof lighter and that it serves you well.
How do refill my FireStash?
This lighter needs to be refilled using standard ‘Lighter Fluid’ which is available from any good newsagent, tobacconist, or supermarket. See Lighter Instructions for more info.
All other True Utility lighters need to be refilled with ‘Butane Gas’. This comes in cans with various nozzles and is available from any good newsagent, tobacconist, or supermarket. See Lighter Instructions for more info.
If your lighter fails to ignite, check to see if there is a spark when the lighter mechanism is operated. Make sure that the lighter contains fuel. Make sure all trapped air is released by bleeding. If there is an ignition spark and the lighter does contain fuel, try the following steps. Adjust the flame setting. Depending on the lighter model, this is either done by hand, using the wheel control at the base of the lighter, or using a small screwdriver to turn the setting control at the base. Begin by turning the flame setting up a little at a time, until the lighter ignites every time. Note that ignition failure can be caused by flame settings that are too high as well as too low. See Lighter Instructions for more info.
How bright are True Utility’s LED torches?
The brightness of our LED torches is indicated in the form of a ‘Lumen’ rating, this reveals the maximum amount of light that will be emitted every time the torch is switched on. One lumen is the equivalent to the brightness of one flame of one candle. The torch’s lumen output will also define the length of time that the torch batteries will last you. Before buying one, it is advisable to have a think about the intended use for the torch, this will give you a clearer idea of what lumen rating torch is actually required for the job.
The other rating you will come across is the ‘Watts’. This figure isn’t actually as important as the lumens because LED torches do not really consume that much power anyway.
LED torches emit a characteristic pure white light, more akin to natural sun light, this is very different from the old style flashlights where the light colour is more yellowish. Furthermore, when the batteries start to lose power, LED torches continue to project the white light, unlike the traditional torches which will turn progressively dimmer and more yellowy-orange in colour.
Many police officers are using LED torches as strategic weapons. The extreme brightness that the new generation LED torches are capable of outputting can create temporary blindness. For police officers, this can be a much safer alternative to other kinds of brutal control techniques. Temporary blindness allows the officers to distract the criminal long enough that they can then make their approach and apprehend them before anyone comes to any unnecessary harm. These super bright LED torches used by the police typically have a brightness output of ninety lumens and use 3 watts or more.
Since the innovation of placing a tiny mirror in the bulb, the light from LED torches now have the capabilities to achieve the same, if not greater, distances (throw) as the old style incandescent torches. Rather than producing a ring of light like the old flashlights, the light from LED torches are brighter, more focused, and directional.
What batteries does my product use?
TU90 MultiMate + Lite (with pouch) 2x CR1220 Y
TU211 LaserLite 3x LR44 Y
TU250 Locklite® 2x CR1616 Y
TU283 Compact MicroLite (3 LED) 3x LR44 Y
TU283B Compact MicroLite (3 LED) Black 3x LR44 Y
TU284 TinyTorch 3x LR44 Y
TU285 NanoLite 4x LR521 Y
TU286 AngleLite Micro 3x LR44 Y
TU287 AngleLite Mini (AAA) 1x AAA N
TU304 FlashStash 3x LR44 Y
TU305 AngleHead Torch 1x AA N